The origin of the Rambagh Golf Club dates back to October 1944 with its history steeped in Royal Background. Rajmata Gayatri Devi of Jaipur is the Founder & Life-long Captain of the Club. After she returned from Gulmarg in October 1944 from a holiday where she got keen on playing golf, she asked permission of Late His Highness to lay a Golf Course on the Rambagh Palace grounds for which he readily agreed. With the help of seasoned golfers an interesting Golf Course was laid. The Fairways were rough & full of Burrs that would stick to players shoes & socks, the browns were true & good.
As remembered by Rajmata Sahab there were four regular foursomes & a couple of twosomes to start with but as time passed more & more people wanted to learn to play Golf and so Mr. H. Duckworth, a professional golfer from Calcutta, was invited to coach them. He was asked to pay special attention to Mr. Gul Mohammed, who had just been employed as a professional.
Post Independence the Club was run on a shoe-string budget but with the Tourism Department, Government of India committing itself to supporting & sponsoring Golf, a sizeable financial input was made available to the Club. Thereafter there was no looking back. Lt. Gen. Himmeth Singh, Sh. Yatinedra Singh, Sh. P.C. Maheshwari, Maharaj Sultan Singh, Sh. S. C. Mehta, Sh. Kishal Lal, Sh. Madhukar Chaturvedi, Thakur Pushpendra Singh, Sh. Vikramaditya Singh, Sh. Kamlakar Sharma, worked with missionary zeal, selfless devotion & meticulous planning in the development work on the Golf Course.
The Club is now affiliated with the Indian Golf Union and has hosted a number of IGU Tour Tournaments.